A Roll Through Charles Taylor's Photographs

Saturday, November 6, 2010

"Life is Elsewhere"

I used to look down at photographers who I felt did not get to know their own territories by walking them, and by that process discover places worthy or their imagination and attention to photograph.  I used to think that if you had to run off to Tibet or Bhutan to get inspired, something was seriously missing in your heart.

Easy to shoot a Buddhist monk in the Himalayas and call it art--such is tourist photography, where you pass through, not loving, not bound.

Maybe I've gotten lazy or lack imagination, but I seem to be running out of things that inspire me where I live. My home in Central Texas is not known for its great physical beauty.

One needs to push oneself, to see something fresh that will inspire.  So, I'm taking to the road today, going elsewhere, to be inspired, to find beauty again.

Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment