A Roll Through Charles Taylor's Photographs

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Surprise in Photography

When I played pool, maybe 50% of the time, on a very good night, I got the ball aimed at in the pocket and I also set the white que ball up for the next shot.

If I tried to pitch in Little League, I was bad. Rarely could I put the ball over the plate where I wanted it.

The same in photography. I lack control. Something I think will be a great shot turns out to be a dog; something that seems to have small potential turns out good.

I like that surprise in photography--the lack of total control. The way it is for potters when firing their pots. Some they thought had great potential will explode in the kiln. Another, the glaze will turn out superb.

I like that surprise in photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment